7 Nights Kigali, Nyungwe Forest and Volcanoes National Park
Program at a glance
|DAY 1||KIGALI SERENA HOTEL||Bed and breakfast||Airport transfer|
|DAY 2||NYUNGWE FOREST LODGE||Fullboard||Visit to historic towns of Nyanza and Butare.|
|DAY 3||NYUNGWE FOREST LODGE||Fullboard||Morning Chimpanzee tracking, pm at leisure for optional activities|
|DAY 4||SABYINYO SILVERBACK LODGE||Fullboard||Morning excursion to Lake Kivu Afternoon drive to Volcanoes|
|DAY 5||SABYINYO SILVERBACK LODGE||Fullboard||Gorilla tracking|
|DAY 6||KIGALI SERENA HOTEL||Bed and breakfast||Optional activity before driving back to Kigali|
|DAY 7||DEPART||Airport transfer|
Program in detail
DAY 01:ARRIVAL – KIGALI CITY
Meet and Greet Services by our representative on arrival at the Kigali International Airport.
Introductions and a short briefing, after which you will be transferred to your Kigali hotel for check-in.
Rest of the day/afternoon and evening at leisure at your hotel, with dinner on own account.
Dinner and overnight at Kigali Serena Hotel.
DAY 02: KIGALI – NYUNGWE FOREST NATIONAL PARK
Early breakfast at your hotel, followed by check-out.
Morning depart and drive south-wards of Rwanda – to the historical towns of Nyanza and Butare (133km – 2.5hrs), for a short tour of their attractions.
Nyanza became the royal capital of the country under the reign of King Yuhi V Musinga in 1899.
The court became the home of the artistic and intellectual and was also a place for economic exchange. Today, a replica of the traditional Royal Palace sits at Rukari.
Located about 35 kilometers south of Kigali, Butare provides a rich information base on the historic heritage of Rwanda.
At the end of the tour, enjoy lunch at a Butare hotel or restaurant.
After lunch, continue on your journey further south-wards, and then westwards and through the Nyungwe Forest, to arrive at your Nyungwe Forest Lodge in the early evening. 127km – 2.5hrs
Evening at leisure at your lodge, with dinner included.
Overnight at Nyungwe Forest Lodge.
DAY 03: NYUNGWE FOREST NATIONAL PARK
Early breakfast at your hotel (or take picnic breakfast).
Depart early morning for transfer to the park office, for registration of your Chimpanzee trekking.
About 500 chimpanzees live in the Nyungwe Forest. The trekking can take anything from a few hours to full day depending on where the chimpanzees are. Take note that it is not guaranteed to see the chimps as they are unpredictable and can move long distances in one day.
At the end of the chimps trek, return to your hotel/lodge for freshening up and lunch.
Afternoon is at leisure – for optional activities, such as the Canopy Adventure Hike.
Dinner and overnight at Nyungwe Forest Lodge.
DAY 04: NYUNGWE FOREST – VOLCANOES NATIONAL PARK
Breakfast at your lodge, followed by check-out.
Morning, depart Nyungwe Forest and take the scenic drive along and parallel to the shores of Lake Kivu to the central Lake Kivu town of Kibuye. 130km, 3hrs
Lake Kivu is the largest of numerous freshwater lakes that shimmer in the valleys of Rwanda.
Steep terraced hills lead down to the picturesque lake shore and the three resort towns – Gisenyi, Kibuye and Cyangugu.
Arrive in Kibuye in the mid-morning, for a brief relaxation on the lake-shore, before lunch at a Kibuye hotel.
(You may wish to undertake such optional activity as a Boat Ride or a 2-hour Boat Excursion to the Napoleon Island (Bat Island – residence of a large colony of bats)/Swimming in the Lake/Water Sports, e.t.c.)
After lunch on the shores of Lake Kivu, depart and drive eastwards and then north-eastwards, to the Volcanoes Mountains region. 150km, 3.5hrs
Arrive at your volcanoes lodge in the early evening, for check-in.
Dinner and overnight at Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge
DAY 05: VOLCANOES NATIONAL PARK
Early breakfast at your lodge.
After breakfast, you will be transferred to the park headquarters for the gorilla trek registration and allocation of the particulargorilla family to visit.
Your trek starts in the cultivated foothills of the Virunga’s offering stirring views in all directions.
Trekking can take from two to six or more hours if the gorillas move before the park rangers locate them the next morning.
The guides stop frequently to allow trekkers a chance to rest and take photos along the way.
Upon sighting the gorillas, you will stay with them for a magical one-hour as they go about their daily life, feeding, playing, resting; raising their young.
Coming face to face with a giant silverback must truly be one of the greatest wildlife experiences on earth!
The Ultimate Experience!!
• A Walking Stick is provided at the start-point – to help steady your trekking.
• Porters are also available – to help carry your water bottle/hand luggage and/or even hold hand in slippery/steep sections (this is at a minimal charge of US$10 per person, payable at the end)
At the end of the trek, rejoin your driver-guide and transfer back to your lodge for freshening-up and lunch.
Afternoon is at leisure – to simply relax at your lodge, or take up one of the optional activities. Dinner and overnight at Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge.
DAY 06: VOLCANOES – KIGALI
Breakfast at your lodge.
Morning at leisure – one with nature under the shadows of the Volcanoes Mountains, with opportunity for a second gorilla trek or other of the optional activities available;
Lunch at your lodge, followed by check-out.
[After lunch and before driving back to Kigali, you may wish (optional) to visit the spectacularly beautiful and picturesque Twin Lakes of Burera & Ruhondo].
Later in the afternoon, depart and drive down the foothills of the volcanoes mountains – on the scenic but winding road and through the beautiful, rolling hills and back to Kigali. 94km, 2.5hrs.
Arrive in Kigali in the early evening, for check-in at your Kigali hotel.
Evening at leisure at your hotel, with dinner on own account.
Overnight at Kigali Serena Hotel
DAY 07: KIGALI – DEPART
Breakfast at your hotel, followed by check-out.
Morning, enjoy a sight-seeing/orientation tour of Kigali City – including the genocide memorial museum, and then lunch before being transferred to the Kigali Airport, for your outbound flight.
END OF SERVICES
The Volcanoes area is located at an altitude of over 2,400 meters above sea level.It is extremely chilly in the early mornings and evenings – warm clothing is therefore necessary. While trekking, it can rain unexpectedly – it is necessary therefore to have:
• Water-proof clothing (jacket, with hood + trousers);
• Water-proof Zip-Lock bags for Cameras/Film/Passports/Money, e.t.c.;
• Hand Gloves (warm and water-proof), to keep hands off from rain and dripping vegetation; as well as protect from stinging nettles
• Hiking boots – with good mud-grip are most appropriate (shoes/boots of clothing material will certainly become wet and uncomfortable.
• Gaiters – to protect your trek trouser legs and boots against mud/wetness;
• Sun glasses not necessary during the trek;
• Any valuables (carried on the person and not necessary during the trek), may be entrusted with your driver-guide for safe-keeping for the duration of the trek.
Prices in USD
High season (June – March) –
Low season (April – May) –
GORILLA PERMIT cost NOT included in above quote.
The applicable cost is:
a) US$750 per Permit per day (Foreign Non-Resident);
b) US$450 per permit per day (Foreign Resident, in East Africa);
c) US$300per permit per day (East African Citizen).
NB: Gorilla permits are only confirmed upon payment of a deposit – Non-Refundable;
The balance is payable 60 days before trekking date
Main Quote Includes:
• Arrival + Departure Airport transfers and assistance;
• 02Nights Accommodation in Kigali, on Bed & Breakfast basis;
• 02Nights Accommodation in Nyungwe Forest, on Full-Board basis;
• 02Nights Accommodation at Volcanoes National Park, on Full-Board basis;
• Historic Towns (Nyanza & Butare) visit on Day 02; (inclusive of applicable fees)
• Extra Lunches on Days 02, 04 & 07;
• Kigali City Tour on Day 07; (inclusive of applicable fees)
• Private Transport in a 4×4 Safari-customized Landcruiser;
• Services of an English/French-Speaking Driver-Guide;
• Bottled Drinking Water during the safari (in the vehicle) and while trekking;
• All taxes on the services quoted above.
Main Quote Excludes:
• Meals and beverages, other than specified;
• Chimpanzee /Gorilla& Golden Monkey Trek Permits; (Permit costs given separately from main quote)
• Canopy Adventure Hike Permit
• Cultural Village Visit
• Any Other Optional activities, as outlined;
• International, regional and local Airfares + Airport taxes;
• Passport and visa fees and service charges for obtaining visas;
• Gratuities to driver/guides and other conveyance attendants;
• Laundry and other items of a personal nature such drinks, telephone calls, etc.;
• Cost for anything not specifically mentioned in the listing above.