3NightsVolcanoes National Park and Lake Kivu
Program at a glance
|DAY 1||SABYINYO SILVERBACK LODGE||Fullboard||Airport transfer, city tour|
|DAY 2||SABYINYO SILVERBACK LODGE||Fullboard||Gorilla tracking|
|DAY 3||LAKE KIVU SERENA HOTEL||Fullboard||Morning Gorilla tracking, pm drive to Lake Kivu|
|DAY 4||DEPART||Morning at leisure for optional activities. Afternoon drive to Kigali and Airport transfer|
Program in detail
DAY 01:ARRIVAL – KIGALI – VOLCANOES NATIONAL PARK
Meet and Greet Services by our representative, outside the Airport Arrivals section.
After a short briefing, embark on a morning sight-seeing tour of Kigali City.
At the end of the city tour, enjoy lunch at one of Kigali’s popular restaurants.
After lunch, depart and drive north-west of the country to the Ruhengeri area – at the foothills of the Volcanoes Mountains. (94km, 2.5hrs)
Arrive in the late afternoon, dinner and overnight at Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge
DAY 02: VOLCANOES NATIONAL PARK
Early breakfast at your lodge.
After breakfast, you will be transferred to the park headquarters for registration of your gorilla trek and allocation of the particular gorilla family to visit.
Your trek starts in the cultivated foothills of the Virunga’s offering stirring views in all directions. Trekking can take from two to six or more hours if the gorillas move before the park rangers locate them the next morning.
The guides stop frequently to allow trekkers a chance to rest and take photos along the way.
Upon sighting the gorillas, you will stay with them for a magical one-hour as they go about their daily life, feeding, playing,resting; raising their young.
Coming face to face with a giant silverback must truly be one of the greatest wildlife experiences on earth!
The Ultimate Experience!!
• A Walking Stick is provided at the start-point – to help steady your trekking.
• Porters are also available – to help carry your water bottle/hand luggage and/or even hold hand in slippery/steep sections(this is at a minimal charge of US$10 per person, payable at the end)
At the end of the trek, rejoin your driver-guide and transfer back to your lodge for freshening-up and lunch.
Afternoon is at leisure – to simply relax at your lodge, or take up one of the optional activities
Dinner and overnight at Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge
DAY 03:VOLCANOES – LAKE KIVU
Breakfast at your lodge.
Morning at leisure – one with nature under the shadows of the Volcanoes Mountains, with opportunity for a second gorilla trek or other of the optional activities available;
Or take up the Golden Monkey trekking – the only other member of the primates species residing in the volcanoes.
After lunch and before departing for Lake Kivu (time and weather permitting), you may wish to make a brief visit to the nearby spectacularly beautiful and picturesque Twin Lakes of Burera& Ruhondo.
Later in the afternoon, depart and drive south-westwards – down the winding roads and through the beautiful, rolling hill-sides to the shores of Lake Kivu – Gisenyi. 65km – 1.5hrs
Lake Kivu is the largest of numerous freshwater lakes that shimmer in the valleys of Rwanda.
Set amid the dramatic mountains of the rift valley and the volcanic Volcanoes Mountains (Virungas) to the north, the irregular shores of Lake Kivu form numerous inlets and peninsulas and myriad forest-fringed waterfalls.The lake is a 2650 square kilometers freshwater expanse and the largest of all the lakes that fill the valleys of Rwanda.
Dinner and overnight at Lake Kivu Serena Hotel
DAY 04: LAKE KIVU – KIGALI – DEPART
Breakfast at your hotel.
Spend the morning at leisure, on the shores of Lake Kivu – with opportunity for optional activities, such as:
Swimming in the lake; Boat Ride; Boat Excursion; Water Sports, Biking, Hiking; or more orientation drive along the shores of Lake Kivu, with your driver-guide – including a visit to the hot springs and distant view of Rwanda’s Methane Gas Plant on Lake Kivu, e.t.c.
Early lunch at the hotel (included), followed by check-out.
After lunch, depart and drive back to Kigali (156km, 3.5hrs), arriving in the late afternoon – with onward transfer to the Kigali International Airport, for your evening outbound flight.
END OF SERVICES
The Volcanoes area is located at an altitude of over 2,400 meters above sea level.It is extremely chilly in the early mornings and evenings – warm clothing is therefore necessary. While trekking, it can rain unexpectedly – it is necessary therefore to have:
• Water-proof clothing (jacket, with hood + trousers);
• Water-proof Zip-Lock bags for Cameras/Film/Passports/Money, e.t.c.;
• Hand Gloves (warm and water-proof), to keep hands off from rain and dripping vegetation; as well as protect from stinging nettles
• Hiking boots – with good mud-grip are most appropriate (shoes/boots of clothing material will certainly become wet and uncomfortable.
• Gaiters – to protect your trek trouser legs and boots against mud/wetness;
• Sun glasses not necessary during the trek;
• Any valuables (carried on the person and not necessary during the trek), may be entrusted with your driver-guide for safe-keeping for the duration of the trek.
Prices in USD
High season (June – March) –
Low season (April – May) –
GORILLA PERMIT cost NOT included in above quote.
The applicable cost is:
a) US$750 per Permit per day (Foreign Non-Resident);
b) US$450 perpermit per day (Foreign Resident, in East Africa);
c) US$300 per permit per day (East African Citizen).
NB: Gorilla permits are only confirmed upon payment of a deposit – Non-Refundable;
The balance is payable 60 days before trekking date
Main Quote Includes:
• Airport Arrival + Departure transfers and assistance;
• Kigali City Tour on Day 01; (inclusive of applicable fees)
• Extra Lunch on Day 01, after the city tour;
• 02Nights Accommodation at the Volcanoes, on Full-Board basis;
• 01Night Accommodation at Lake Kivu, on Full-Board basis;
• Private Transport in a 4×4 Land-cruiser;
• Services of an English/French-Speaking Driver-Guide;
• Bottled Drinking Water during the safari (in the vehicle) and while trekking;
• All taxes on the services quoted above.
Main Quote Excludes:
• Meals and beverages, other than specified;
• Gorilla Trek Permit; (Cost given separately from main quote)
• Any other sight-seeing activities or accommodation, other than indicated;
• International, regional and local Airfares + Airport taxes;
• Passport and visa fees and service charges for obtaining visas;
• Gratuities to driver/guides and other conveyance attendants;
• Laundry and other items of a personal nature such drinks, telephone calls, e.t.c.;
• Cost of any other item/s not specifically mentioned or listed above.